21/06/10 - River Trent

First outing on the rivers this season. Headed down to the Trent at Swarkestone hoping for a barbel and ended up at the bottom end of a new section for me. Found a nice spot on the outside of a bend, fishing over the top of streamer weed. Fished away happily for a few hours, only bothered by floating weed (lots of it!), curious and slightly scary cows (given their occasional whim to trample you for fun) and the occasional suicidal chub.



Stupid, but unpredictable!

Wound in the downstream rod as it got dark to concentrate on the other and had a proper wrap around bite shortly afterwards. The fish shot off downstream then stopped, forcing me to haul it back upstream. It was wallowing around feeling heavy and I was just imaging a big old girl with her pectorals spread out against the flow when the hook pulled out. The chub I had earlier had been well and truly nailed by the Korda widegape, so I guess I was unlucky. That was the end of the action as far as I was concerned. Stumbled back to the car avoiding cowpats, having made a mental note to return soon.

The end of the longest day


No comments:

Post a Comment