26/08/23 - A windy morning at Hobbs

Was up early yet again this morning. However, on this occasion I headed off to Hobbs Point in the hope of replicating last year's success and catching myself another trigger fish. 

Didn't actually know whether they were about yet and was aware they'd been late turning up at places like Chesil, but as I had caught one exactly 12 months ago to the day I thought it would be worth a shot. There was always a chance that a wrasse, or even a bass, would show up as well. Had planned as before to fish over low water and had chosen this morning because it was the smallest neap of the week, which would give me maximum depth at low tide. Called in at Tesco at Pembroke Dock and got a packet of raw king prawns for bait before driving down to the point as the sun was just clearing the land opposite. Apart from a taxi driver taking a break I was the only person there, so carefully made my way as far down the ramp as I dared without slipping and falling on my arse. 

Set up a two hook flapper with size 4 Sakuma mini mantas, whipped on a couple of prawns and dropped the rig down the side of the wall. On previous, successful occassions the fish had been straight onto the bait, so I sat down on the quayside holding the rod and waited for the tell-tale "tap, tap, tap" of a trigger. However, 30 minutes later I'd not seen any indication of any interest, so decided to hedge my bets and set up the LRF rod. Left the other rod to fish by itself, keeping an eye open for any movement on the tip, whilst I baited up a mini two hook flapper with bits of last summer's salted ragworm and sent it down to the bottom. Didn't have to wait long for the first determined enquiry, but was surprised when a black goby appeared on the surface. 

These usually play second fiddle at Hobbs to their more aggressive cousins, the rock gobies. However, I added three more on successive casts before a small ballan wrasse broke the monopoly. Was kept busy over the next half an hour re-baiting the LRF rod, adding more black gobies, a couple of corkwing wrasse (Mr and Mrs) and (eventually) a rock goby to the tally. However, the prawns to my right remained un-touched. A couple of other anglers had arrived by now, including another chap with LRF gear. Saw him catch a couple of fish on the dropshot before he came down to ask me whether I'd had a scorpion, as he was after one for a species hunt. However, when I responded in the negative he went straight back to his fishing. 

Carried on a bit longer, but the bites had slowed down and my nose was dripping due to the stiff, cool breeze that had been blowing straight into my face all morning. Gave myself one final cast with the LRF rod and had an opportunistic pollock shoot out from the kelp to intercept the bait on the drop. Wound in the untouched prawns before packing up and making my way back up the ramp. Stopped and asked my fellow angler if he'd had his scorpion, but he was also now packing up after catching a few ballans. Took the opportunity to have a quick chat about the local fishing. He was interested that I'd been after the triggers and that I'd caught them from Hobbs in the past. Turned out that he had held the Welsh record for a boat caught trigger at one time. 

Before he left he gave me details of another spot on the other side of the haven to try for them and introduced himself as Nev. Thought his face was vaguely familiar, later realising that he was a member of the Tenby and District Angling Club whose Facebook page here is a valuable source of information for a travelling angler like myself and one I often refer to. Was therefore pleased to receive a message from him later offering his knowledge and assistance whenever I was down in Pembrokeshire - the power of social media! 

Had just left the car park when I spotted a sign for bait by the side of the road. Therefore stopped for a quick look and was pleasantly surprised to find a well stocked tackle shop at JMB Marine (details here), even more so when the guy behind the counter said that he'd got plenty of fresh rag in at £5 a quarter. Getting bait in Pembrokeshire has always been a problem as decent tackle shops are few and far between, so I duly parted with my money and got a pack of nice fat worms in return. Again I took the opportunity to glean any local knowledge before I left, promising the chap I'd be seeing him again. Will hopefully get to use the rag over the next couple of days, but at the very least I can salt them down for future use. Onwards and upwards! 

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how anglers interact with each other, it helps put fish on the bank too.

    ReplyDelete