06/04/2015 - Calm day at Hobb's Point


We were down in Pembrokeshire for Easter and were lucky to have some real t-shirts and shorts weather. Most of the time was therefore spent with the family on the coast, or getting some distance (and height!) in on the road bike. However, I did manage to get down to Pembroke Dock a couple of times early in the morning for an hour either side of high tide. Wasn't expecting it to be as prolific as last trip as it was still early in the year, but bites were few and far between. In fact, the first trip was a total blank. However, I did run into a nice chap (stupidly didn't get his name!) who was originally from Derby, but who had fished around Pembrokeshire since he was a kid, so had a wealth of knowledge about local venues that he was happy to share. The following morning I had to scrape ice off the windscreen when I left the house, but when I got to Hobb's Point it was bright, sunny and warming up nicely. 
 
 
Flat calm in the Haven
 
Dropped my usual "scratching rig" - a two hook flapper baited with bits of ragworm - down into the depths at the side of the old car ferry ramp. Had a few goby-like rattles before the tip bent over properly and I was into my first fish - a small pollock judging by the curved lateral line and big eye.  

 
 
Pollock!
 
Re-baited and lowered the rig in again, feeding the line down through my fingers. The lead didn't reach the bottom this time as something snatched a bait on the drop. Turned out to be a bright, little schoolie bass.
 
 
Spikey!
 
Managed to connect with one of the "rattles" and, as suspected, unceremoniously cranked up a rock goby.

 
 
Attention!
 
The tide had turned at this point, so I knew it wouldn't be long before it would start ripping along the wall and that would be the end of the session. However, had one more proper bite resulting in a slightly better pollock.

 
 
Best 'til last
 
 
Packed up after this. Shame not to get a wrasse, but I'll be back in May to give it another go and follow up my hot tips!  

No comments:

Post a Comment