04/10/2022 - Trotanostering

Caught up with the latest series of Mortimer and Whitehouse this week - one series too many in my view. Even John Bailey, the show's angling consultant, appears to have lost interest given the distinct lack of any decent fish caught and the only thing that really made me laugh out loud was Ted the dog dressed in a dinner jacket. 

However, at least the perch episode inspired me to drag my lazy arse out to the Soar for a few hours this evening. Headed for the top of the club section at Kegworth where I knew that I'd be tucked out of the wind. Found it to be gin clear, although the recent rain had topped the river up to near normal levels again. As usual I had the whole section to myself, but dropped into my usual trotting peg downstream of the weir. However, unlike in the summer the fish weren't there in numbers straight away.

Took about half an hour to build the swim up, but then it was a bite a chuck, including dace, roach and colourful perch. Had brought the paternoster rod and had set it up next to me within arm's length ready to go, but I was actually struggling to catch anything small enough to consider using as a perch bait. Eventually got a couple of suitable roach and chub in the bucket and was able to position the paternoster at the downstream end of the swim. Got couple of subtle takes very quickly - the rod tip just pulling down a couple of times before I was on it and pulling the line out of the bobbin clip. However, wound down on both occasions to find that the bait had already been rejected with just a few missing scales on the flanks to show that something had at least had it in its mouth, albeit only momentarily. 

There had been a pike lying up in the lilies when I arrived that ghosted away downstream when it spotted me, but I suspected that small perch were to blame as I was catching quite a few on the float rod. I like to present my baits Archie Braddock style on a size 16 hook that's hair-rigged to a size 4 or 6 Korum Expert Specimen. The point of the bait holder is turned in on itself with pliers to keep the bait on and also to prevent it catching in the perch's mouth. However, presenting baits in this way does mean that small perch may not take the main hook into their gobs. Popped the bait out again, but wouldn't get any further action on that rod until it was almost dark. 

Carried on trotting away, adding a little skimmer and a couple of bleak to the species count. Decided to swap the bait on the paternoster rod for one of the latter for the last half hour or so. Dropped him in downstream but then wondered why the line kept dropping back in the clip. Took a couple of seconds to realise that the bait had been taken on the drop and wound down into something that definitely wasn't a perch from its subsequent acrobatics. Scooped a jack into the net - probably the one I'd seen earlier and nicely hooked in the scissors. Sent him on his way, but didn't bother putting the paternoster out again. Kept on working the float rod until I could no longer see the orange tip of my stick float in the gloom. 

Ended up with a nice mixed bag of seven species including the pike, so at least a better effort than Paul and Bob! Devon this weekend with the lads and the chance of another bash at the bass on the lure rod  - weather permitting, as it looks like its going to blow a hoolie!

6 comments:

  1. Yes, it's lost its way, or as you say should perhaps have turned in at the end of the last run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is very very poor. Its like they can't really be bothered

      Delete
  2. Loafing again? You're as bad as me 😆

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read, thanks. And yes, I agree about B and P!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They actually caught fish this time, decent fish too.

    ReplyDelete