07/04/2023 - Some welcome "minis" at Milford

Had the wind taken out of my sails by yet another disappointing end to the river season and as the unsettled weather continued through March I found that I had zero inclination to get out despite some having some vague plans for stillwater perch and canal zeds. Nearest I got to anything fishing-related was to make a hanging ceiling rack for my rods in the garage!

However, a few days down in Pembrokeshire at the in-laws gave me a chance to rediscover my mojo. With most of my sea fishing gear already down there I just had to throw a few extra bits in the car to cover all eventualities. The weather and the tides looked good for some early season species hunting, so Thursday morning saw me heading off to the Haven bright and early for high water. The sun had just started to paint the horizon in orange, reds and pinks and whilst I had to scrape a layer of ice off the car windows it looked as if it was going to be a glorious day. 

However, descending into the valley I was enveloped by thick fog that persisted all the way to Milford. Set up on the jetty in the gloom, the far side of the Haven obscured and the fog horn sounding off at regular intervals. Went with the usual scaled down two hook flapper with size 16 Drennan widegapes baited with last summer's salted rag. Started near the steps and slowly worked my way along the jetty, dropping my rig straight down the wall. Got to the end without a sniff, but then chanced upon some mini-species manna from heaven in the form of half a dozen large ragworm. 

Probably only discarded the previous evening otherwise the crows and gulls would have had them and barely alive but perfectly usable. The fish aren't fussy in these parts! Snipped them into small pieces, re-baited my rig and then dropped it down the far side of the jetty. 












Had a couple of rattles before the tip bent over properly and an indignant shanny dragged up to the surface. Seemed to have found the "honey hole" as several more followed, along with a few pollack, corkwings and ballan wrasse. 













A chap turned up with his two kids at this point. Discovered that he was a regular visiting angler from Kent, so we were able to share some intelligence about the various marks we fished over the years. On this occasion he was just after a couple of doggies to keep the kids happy, so left him to set up. By now the fog had been cleared away by the combination of the sun and a freshening breeze. Carried on until my supply of second-hand rag was exhausted, missing far more bites than were converted into fish but still ending up a a decent mixed bag. 

Packed up and then popped into Costa for a coffee that I drank overlooking the Haven, now bathed in bright sunshine. The number of buzzards and red kites spotted making use of the subsequent thermals was well into double figures by the time I got home. A quick bacon sarnie and all was well with the world!

1 comment:

  1. You make me want to go to the seaside - as always. An enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete