03/08/2020 - Mini-species at Milford Haven


The weather forecast for The Haven today was for sunny intervals and light westerly winds, so decided to have an early morning session after some mini-species down at Milford Docks. However, when I set off at 0600 hrs it was only 8 degrees Centigrade and as I crested the hill overlooking the Cleddau valley I could see thick ribbons of mist marking out the course of the river below. Thankfully by the time I arrived, about half an hour before high tide, the sun was a bit more evident and it was feeling distinctly warmer. Initially set up on the “bull nose”, having first tidied up the crap left by previous anglers using the carrier bag they’d thoughtfully left along with the lager tins, crisp packets and bait packets (I fail to understand the mentality of people who do this). Dropped a scaled down flapper rig made up with two size 10 Sabpolo wormer hooks and baited with scraps of left-over ragworm down the side of the wall. Soon started getting jabs and rattles on the rod tip and it didn’t take long to find out what was responsible.

  












As on previous visits small corkwing wrasse appeared to be here in abundance and I had several of these in quick succession, along with a trio of emerald green ballan wrasse and a couple of small pollack. As the tide dropped I started getting pestered by small shannies, adept at necking baits with their disproportionately large gobs, so I moved to the corner of the mackerel landing. However, apart from one solitary rock goby, there didn’t seem to be much in residence here, so wondered where to try next.

 












On previous trips I’d eyed up the stone pier on the other side of the entrance to the lock pit, but had never actually given it a go. With an hour or so of fishable tide left I therefore jumped back in the car and made the short trip around the marina and through the fish docks. Walking out to the end of the pier I dropped my rig into about three feet of water. Bait was taken almost immediately with a thump by a good corkwing. Again there seemed to be lots present, from tiddlers up to some hand-sized specimens and I had a couple of “double shots” as both baits were taken simultaneously. Added several more shannies and a single ballan wrasse before the clock dictated that I had to leave and fulfil my breakfast making duties back at base.

 

By this time I was only fishing in about 18 inches of water and could actually see my top dropper just below the surface. In total I’d amassed 28 corkwings, 20 shannies, 4 ballan wrasse, 2 pollack and a rock goby, so a good morning's sport. The new spot definitely had more potential and had earned a longer return visit. The only downer on the morning was when I popped into Angler’s Corner on the way home for a pack of ragworm. Fully expecting change from my fiver, I nearly chocked when I had to cough up an extra £2.50! Obviously a superior class of ragworm on the north side of The Haven.

2 comments:

  1. Certainly is. Wish I'd started doing it sooner. Easier catching what's under your feet than casting a big bait to the horizon and catching nothing! Amazing variety as well. I've only just scratched the surface in terms of number of species out there.

    ReplyDelete