12/07/2022 - Geting too hot to be sensible?

Still had a few maggots left over from my last session but, with the rivers continuing to drop, the bright, sunny days just didn't inspire me to get out there. That changed when the forecast showed some overcast conditions and correspondingly lower temperatures were on their way. Sat in my "office" (the end of the dining table) with the patio doors open on the day in question I was even briefly distracted by the sound of a few drops of rain hitting the decking - something that has become so rare in these parts that I took a couple of seconds to realise what it was! 

Not that it even touched the sides, but it was enough to freshen things up a little and later in the afternoon I headed off to the River Derwent once again. Whilst the car park was empty I could see a couple of anglers in the first two "armchair" swims upstream of the footbridge. Optimistically casting large maggot feeders into a shallow, clear swim they'd understandably only had one grayling between them when the conditions perhaps dictated a bit more finesse. I therefore plodded on upstream in my chesties, the insides of which were still nice and clammy from sweat from my last outing, flushing a little egret and a pair of kingfishers out from the marginal reeds as I did so. A brown hare out in the hay field was less skittish, but kept a watchful eye on me as I walked past.

Stopped about halfway up the section and was relieved to drop into the relative cool of the river. Started off with double maggot on a size 16, but quickly realised that I needed to drop down at least a hook size if I wanted to catch anything today. Unfortunately the masses of minnows quickly became a pain in the arse - reducing the single maggot to a husk by the end of the run with all but the gluttonous few avoiding the hook.

Whilst a couple of small perch and dace managed to get a look in I was soon on the move back downstream. Next spot was deeper and slower and on the second trot down I had decent hand-sized roach, quickly followed by a couple of nice dace. However, it wasn't long before the ravenous hordes moved in again and the float started dithering all over the place as the hookbait was harried mercilessly from below. I'd seen a few fish topping in the next spot on the way upstream and, although it was a bit of a scramble down down the bank, it looked worth a go. A few casts later the identity of the mystery "toppers" was confirmed as several, silvery bleak came to hand, along with a couple of chub. Had not had a grayling up to now, so moved downstream once more to the run where I'd had a couple last time.

Briefly shared the swim with a couple of dog-walkers that were letting their pooches cool off in the water, but they soon moved on when I waded out into mid-river. The dace and chub were again in residence and I quickly had a handful along with another perch.




















Had a bit of excitement when reeling in a small fish - a couple of big stripeys appeared from nowhere and before I could react one of them gobbed it. The Acolyte took on a healthy curve as the fish plodded around and for a couple of minutes I thought I had been lucky enough to get a hookhold.




















However, I was soon corrected as my float suddenly went flying over my right shoulder. That seemed to kill the swim off and although I had a few more dace from a bit further downstream I'd really had enough and was wanting my tea.

I get a bit "hangry" when in need of sustenance, so my mood wasn't improved by the amount of crap left behind by the gang of youths that had been tombstoning off the footbridge earlier. Spent a couple of minutes filling my landing net with crisp packets, food wrappers, bottles and pairs of socks that the little bastards had seen fit to discard before they left. I just cannot understand the mindset that thinks this is acceptable, but you only have to look at the verges of our motorways and A-roads to see that it is a common one! Headed home feeling a bit better anyway having "done my bit". Looking at the forecast ahead I fully expect Paola Fisch to pop up on the weather to announce that it will be "scorchio"!

But seriously, with river temperatures approaching levels where some species start to feel uncomfortable, highlighted by reports of a couple of dead salmon in the Derwent and some game fishing clubs suspending angling on their waters, I think I'll be giving it a rest until temperatures drop to more sensible levels again - for my own wellbeing as well as the fish!

4 comments:

  1. The thought of your clammy, sweaty waders has put me off my breakfast ;o)
    I'll fish again when it has rained.... a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fishing is mainly small streams im giving it a rest until they see some rain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis Scorchio - time for a few storms I think..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hangry. That's my middle name 😆

    ReplyDelete