20/08/2022 - Trigger hunt

First and foremost I have to thank Dave Burr for the "hot tip" that resulted in this post. I had successfully targeted trigger fish at Hobbs Point in Pembroke Dock several years ago, but I had subsequently been told in one of the tackle shops that after the local crab fisherman had moved their holding pens to a different area of the Haven the triggers had stopped visiting the mark (apparently they liked to nip the legs off any crabs unfortunate to leave them sticking through the mesh!). 

So when Dave mentioned in a comment on my blog that he had recently seen one at Hobbs my interest was well and truly piqued and a session was planned for the first available opportunity, which happened to be slack water at low tide at first light this morning. Arrived just as the sun was peeking over the hill to find a stiff breeze blowing straight up the Haven and a bit of a chop on, but that the water clarity was still good. Used exactly the same tackle and tactics as when I targeted them before - my bass rod and reel loaded with 30lb braid down to a two hook flapper made up with size 4, heavy gauge Aberdeens baited with raw king prawn. A few beads were also added not only to provide some attraction, but also a bit of protection for the nylon trace from their teeth. 

Dropped the rig straight down the side of the wall and it wasn't too long before I started getting the typical "pecks" on the rod tip. First time I was far too eager and struck way too soon. Second time I let the bite develop and after a couple of proper knocks I struck into a heavy fish. Lifted it up to the surface to see that it was a trigger about the size of a dinner plate! However, as soon as it saw me it dived powerfully back down to the bottom. This went on for a bit, but after I'd got it back to the surface for the third time it looked ready for the net. Unfortunately, looks were deceiving and it again crash dived - this time the hook pulled out! I surprised myself with how calmly I took this as I re-baited and dropped the rig down once more in the hope that I'd not blown my chances. 

All this time I had also been fishing with my LRF rod and had been pulling rock gobies up one after the other on a mini two hook flapper baited with scraps of rag when I struck into something completely different that charged about all over the place. Eventually got it up to the surface to see that it was a sizeable mackerel. However, thoughts of fresh fish for breakfast were quickly dashed when that too fell off before I could net it! Didn't think that it was going to be my morning when the other rod tip started tapping again. This time I left it for as long as I dared before lifting into another powerful fish. Raised it from the depths to see that it was another decent trigger, before it dived back down taking line off the reel against the clutch and pulling my lure rod round into an alarming curve.

After several surging runs I managed to get it under control and was mightily relieved to bundle it into the net on the first attempt. It was every bit as weird as I remembered them, the bizarre body shape and relatively small mouth containing a formidable set of gnashers, but with flashes of azure blue on the dorsal fin and the same highlights around the eye to give it a touch of the exotic. 

Got a fellow angler to take a quick photo before returning it and watching it swim away strongly. Re-baited and cast out again, but the shoal must have moved on as I had no further interest on this rod. However, continued to catch on the LRF rod, adding a couple of corkwings, a few black gobies and several pollack to the procession of rock gobies. Ended up with well over fifty fish in total after about an hour and a half, but the star was definitely the trigger fish! 

4 comments:

  1. Well done mate, happy to have been of assistance. I wish now that I'd put more effort in ;o) maybe next time. What brilliant fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning looking fish !!! nice one

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great session. They're amazing looking things.

    ReplyDelete