23/08/2022 - Rainy day spotties and an unexpected first

Went back to Hobbs Point the day after the trigger action fully anticipating catching some more. Needn't have bothered as the rod tip didn't move for two hours! Just shows that you need right place and right time. Thankfully the mini species were more obliging, so not a completely wasted trip. 

However, with the weather becoming rather wet (what drought?) and Wednesday looking particularly pants I thought I'd give the sea fishing a rest and scraped together some worms from the father-in-law's garden with a view to chasing a few spotties on "my" urban trout stream. Had rained overnight and was still drizzling when I set off this morning, so I was expecting there to be at least a bit of colour. However, upon arrival, I was surprised to find that the stream was still low and gin clear - what rain we have had must have therefore gone straight into the ground. Tactics were the same as before - my LRF rod, reel loaded with 6lb braid, a 4lb flurocarbon leader and a size 12, 0.5 gram tungsten jig head baited with a worm "wacky" style. 

Quickly became apparent that things were going to be difficult as, soon after lowering myself into the water and starting to wade slowly upstream, I saw several puffs of silt and fish darting off several metres ahead of me. The tree canopy prevented me from casting very far in front of me so I did't get any joy until I came to the first riffle, which allowed me to sneak up on its residents unseen. Picked off the odd one here and there by moving like a heron on tranquilizers and using any cover available. More often than not I snagged up on the various bits of urban debris littering the bottom, cursing as I did so because it meant a promising spot was ruined every time I had to retrieve the jig head, causing my targets to go flashing past my legs in alarm. 

Got to the little pool downstream of the old sluice and manouvered into position to be able to cast as far upstream as I could. Got a hit first time from a little spottie, so thought I might be in with a chance of a couple more. Flicked the worm up the pool again, let it sink and slowly inched it back. Felt a couple of knocks and then the tip went round as a fish grabbed the bait. As I drew it in front of me I was confused that I couldn't see it in the water. Reason became apparent when a little flounder suddenly popped off the bottom! I've never actually fished for flounders before, so this was a first for me. However, I certainly didn't expect to catch one from a trout stream. The hardy little soul (no pun intended) would have had to negotiate several miles of tidal river, a sewage works outfall and several trash dams to end up where he was in completely fresh water. Popped him back and wished him luck with the rest of his travels! 

Had a couple more brownies further upstream, but it was really difficult to get close to any fish without sending them scattering with it being so low and clear. Therefore decided to leave them alone and come back when the stream was in better condition. Went and got a coffee and drank it overlooking the tidal river nearby. Although it was low tide there were loads of mullet milling around in what seemed to be a natural holding area - a pool just downstream of a bend. The only ones I have caught so far have been by accident rather than design -  foul hooked while lure fishing or on baits meant for something else - so it looked like a promising area to come back to. Something else to add to the list!

3 comments:

  1. I think that Pembrokeshire has more than enough fishing for a lifetime, the scope is amazing. Well done on the flounder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and to think that the first ten years I came down here I was just looking for places to go coarse fishing - doh!

      Delete
    2. If those mullet are thin lips a baited Mepps spinner will catch them.

      Delete